MICHIGAN — The numbers hold climbing.
After per week by which Gov. Gretchen Whitmer enacted numerous emergency measures — together with ordering schools and many businesses to shut, and banning gatherings of greater than 50 folks — lots of of latest coronavirus COVID-19 circumstances are nonetheless being reported throughout Michigan this weekend.
The variety of confirmed circumstances statewide jumped from 549 to 787 on Saturday, March 21, together with new circumstances in counties not beforehand affected, because the demise toll rose to eight.
Final Sunday, Michigan had 53 confirmed circumstances. The depend is about 15 instances greater now.
Colleges and universities are transitioning to on-line studying. Bars and eating places try to get by with simply takeout/supply service. Musicians are taking their reveals on-line. And plenty of residents are practising social distancing and staying house.
Beneath are the most recent developments that impression Michigan residents.
- Michigan coronavirus circumstances climb to close 800, with eight deaths. Nearly all of Michigan’s coronavirus circumstances are in Southeast Michigan, with 248 circumstances in Detroit, 229 in Oakland County and 101 every in Wayne and Macomb counties. The state confirmed 5 deaths Saturday afternoon, however three more deaths have been later reported by hospitals or well being departments in Oakland, Kent and Macomb counties.
- West Michigan reported its first demise. A male affected person in his 70s with underlying well being points died from COVID-19 on March 21 at a Spectrum Health hospital in Kent County.
- Gov. Gretchen Whitmer closes down hair and nail salons, tattoo parlors. The governor signed an executive order ordering all services that present non-essential private care companies to shut March 22-April 13. The order applies to hair and nail salons, tanning salons, spas, companies that provide therapeutic massage, tattoos, physique artwork and piercing companies, in addition to those who provide related companies that require folks to be inside six ft of one another.
- Washtenaw County coronavirus case depend climbs to 29 with 13 new circumstances. There’s evidence the illness is spreading locally.
- Kent County coronavirus circumstances climb from 12 to 21. The county well being division issued the new numbers Saturday, March 21.
- West Michigan coronavirus sufferer ‘actually felt I used to be dying.’ After a weeklong keep at Holland Hospital, Rena Hawkins, Ottawa County’s first COVID-19 patient, is now in isolation.
- Oakland County closes malls, playgrounds after 1st coronavirus demise. “If folks ask if we’re overreacting, I’d say completely not. There’s going to be a brand new regular for us proper now,” County Executive David Coulter said.
- First coronavirus case reported in Saginaw County; 7 in Genesee. Saginaw County reported its first case.
- Calhoun County data first coronavirus case. The particular person is an grownup who’s recovering at home in isolation.
- Berrien, Allegan counties report first coronavirus circumstances. The Berrien County Health Department is advising anybody who attended a March eight Sandi Patty live performance and had shut contact with the singer to self-quarantine.
- Clare County stories first optimistic coronavirus case. “We hope for the speedy recovery of our resident,” mentioned Dr. Jennifer Morse, well being division medical director.
- GM companions with medical firm to make ventilators throughout coronavirus pandemic. GM and Ventec Life Methods are collaborating to increase production of respiratory care products.
- Michigan lawmakers assist AG subject coronavirus price-gouging complaints, hotline hours prolonged. The legal professional common’s workplace has obtained greater than 1,000 price-gouging complaints and state lawmakers are helping answer phone calls this weekend.
- ‘Keep at house,’ Ann Arbor mayor tells residents in new coronavirus video replace. “The virus remains to be spreading, as we knew that it might,” Mayor Christopher Taylor said.
- Assume coronavirus could also be current in public locations, Washtenaw well being officer warns. “We should do the whole lot we will to guard our group members,” County Health Officer Jimena Loveluck said.
- Michigan Medication begins accumulating protecting gear donations for well being care staff and sufferers. College of Michigan’s hospital system is asking for donations of medical supplies, together with disposable masks, gloves, and hand sanitizers.
- Aerial views present empty Ann Arbor, UM campus after coronavirus outbreak. In comparison with its regular bustling nature, downtown streets and sidewalks are a lot emptier as residents follow social distancing.
- John Ball Zoo to remain closed as coronavirus pandemic continues. Zoo leaders made the announcement Saturday, March 21.
- Rejoice digital Oberon Day collectively, aside. Bell’s Brewery has cordially invited you to a virtual toast at 6 p.m. Monday, March 23.
- Secretary of State returning to regular hours in coronavirus disaster, however nonetheless appointment solely. The hours have been announced Saturday, March 21.
- Gun Lake On line casino extending closure to mid-April in coronavirus disaster. The on line casino announced the changes Friday, March 20.
- College of Michigan Ann Arbor, Dearborn campuses providing alternate grading choices amid coronavirus pandemic. Undergraduate college students will obtain either a “pass” or “no record covid” on their everlasting transcripts.
- As coronavirus ‘dramatically’ spikes Michigan unemployment claims, feds impose embargo on numbers. The U.S. Division of Labor is telling states not to provide daily reports on unemployment claims.
- HopCat closing fully throughout coronavirus disaster. The favored HopCat chain is scrapping take-out service and shutting down entirely.
- One other 5 issues that give us hope amid coronavirus disaster in Washtenaw, Livingston counties. As much as 15 now after three days. Tell us all the stories you have!
- 12 suggestions for Michiganders to maintain their sanity in the course of the coronavirus outbreak. Michigan psychological well being consultants provide recommendation on how to reduce anxiety and depression in a stressful time.
- The present should go… on-line. Group Excessive salvages play with video monologue. Ann Arbor college students created a video of a monologue from “The Tempest” after the play was postponed indefinitely final week.
- Customers Power provides $500,000 to assist coronavirus response. Organizations will receive the grants in the next week.
- Right here’s the place you may drop off gear to assist Ann Arbor hospitals battle coronavirus. Hospitals close to Ann Arbor will accept new or unused protective medical gear, resembling surgical masks and disposable robes.
- West Michigan staff really feel ache, uncertainty amid coronavirus pandemic. Individuals all through the area are coping with layoffs and reduced hours.
Along with washing palms and frequently touched surfaces, officers suggest practising social distancing, assuming anybody could also be carrying the virus, maintaining no less than six ft away from others and dealing from house if attainable.