County officers re-emphasized California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s new coronavirus message a day after he issued a statewide “keep dwelling” order to cease the unfold of the virus that causes the COVID-19 illness.
“The message may be very clear,” County Public Well being Officer Dr. Wilma Wooten, M.D., M.P.H., mentioned. “All Californians are being requested to remain at dwelling if you don’t want to exit for important causes.”
Important causes embody shopping for meals, choosing up medicines and even exercising so long as folks accomplish that by practising social-distancing and protecting six ft aside from people aside from your family members.
Wooten and different County officers additionally mentioned the variety of San Diego County’s COVID-19 instances continues to rise. However they added that everybody in most people doesn’t must get examined for the virus.
“Eighty % of people who get COVID-19 have delicate to reasonable signs,” Wooten mentioned. “These people can isolate and keep dwelling. In the event that they develop extra superior signs, they need to name their physician.”
Wooten and Dr. Eric McDonald, M.D., M.P.H., the medical director of the County’s Epidemiology and Immunization Department, mentioned that 80% get better with out incident and their conditions wouldn’t be modified by being examined. They mentioned coronavirus testing needs to be reserved for the smaller proportion of people who current with extreme signs and are hospitalized.
Supervisor Nathan Fletcher mentioned the County continues working with the state to realize a greater understanding of the Governor’s detailed order. Newsom’s order mentioned everybody needed to keep dwelling, besides folks in “important” jobs, outlined by the federal Division of Homeland Safety’s “Vital Infrastructure Sectors.”
Fletcher mentioned these typically mirrored issues like police, hearth, utilities, authorities, grocery shops, banks, hospitals, transit techniques and significant companies like biotech.
Staying at House
Fletcher and the medical doctors mentioned there have been exceptions to the keep at dwelling rule that allowed folks to buy groceries and important home items, in addition to interact in bodily exercise.
“There are a variety of issues which are clear you are able to do,” Fletcher mentioned. “Go to the fuel station, go to the pharmacy, go to the grocery retailer, go to the financial institution. You possibly can go outdoors for a stroll. You possibly can take your loved ones unit who you reside with in your house … and go to a area or an open park for play. You should utilize all of the know-how we’ve got to remain related to your family members and associates who’re round you.”
County Public Well being Orders Stay in Place
Nevertheless, Fletcher and Wooten additionally mentioned folks — even these in important providers — needed to proceed to observe the general public well being orders:
- Individuals are inspired to not collect in teams of any dimension until it’s completely needed.
- Day care should be restricted to teams of as much as 10 youngsters in the identical room and should stay in the identical group every day with the identical employees particular person.
- Folks 65 years of age and older, or anybody who has a continual underlying situation or who’s immunocompromised, ought to keep dwelling.
- Hospitals should preserve sources and delay non-emergency surgical procedures and elective procedures.
Enterprise ordered closed embody:
- Bars and adult-entertainment institutions that serve alcohol and never meals;
- Eating places should shut dining-areas, however might serve meals for take-out, drive-through, or supply;
- Faculties; and
- Gyms and health facilities.
Social Distancing to Flatten the Curve
Gov. Newsom’s order got here as public well being officers across the globe have been urging folks to “flatten the curve” of the novel coronavirus by staying dwelling and protecting six ft away from others. That may preserve the virus from racing via populations, making everybody sick in an enormous spike that would overwhelm hospitals and healthcare techniques.
Folks can apply social distancing by staying at dwelling — mother and father working remotely and college students taking lessons on line. Companies also needs to apply social distancing by protecting workers and clients at the least six ft aside, if in a vital job, in addition to working remotely, if potential.
Folks can exit to get meals or different necessities, help a member of the family or buddy, get medical consideration, choose up medicines, or go to work as an “important” worker.
Native COVID-19 Instances
By 5 p.m. Friday, the County complete variety of confirmed COVID-19 instances elevated to 131 — up by 26 from Thursday — with no deaths.
Of the 131 instances 110 have been San Diego County residents and 10 have been non-residents. Instances underneath federal quarantine additionally elevated to 11, up by three from Thursday.
Eighty-three of the 131 instances have been folks between the ages of 20 and 49; 14 have been between 50 and 59; and 32 have been 60 or older. The County’s each day coronavirus in San Diego webpage now additionally breaks down the variety of cases by city and unincorporated communities.
What Everybody Can Do to Decrease Possibilities of Getting COVID-19
Folks may also help restrict the unfold of an infection, by taking these steps:
- Wash your hands typically to assist defend you from germs.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, if cleaning soap and water aren’t accessible. It ought to comprise at the least 60% alcohol.
- Keep away from touching your eyes, nostril or mouth.
- Clear and disinfect incessantly touched objects and surfaces.
- Keep away from shut contact with people who find themselves sick.
- In case you are sick, keep dwelling and preserve your distance from others to guard them from getting sick too.
- Cowl your mouth and nostril with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, then wash your fingers.
- Observe different good well being habits. Get loads of sleep, be bodily energetic, handle your stress, drink loads of fluids and eat nutritious meals.
Get COVID-19 Information By way of Textual content
County residents can now obtain details about the novel coronavirus through textual content due to the County COVID-19 public data textual content message alert system. The system permits County well being officers to ship real-time details about COVID-19 within the area. To enroll to obtain the messages, textual content COSD COVID19 to 468-311. The system was set as much as let County public well being officers concern data and directions on modifications associated to COVID-19 within the area.
When you have particular person questions, please discuss to your well being care supplier. For group sources, please name 2-1-1 San Diego or go to 211sandiego.org or the County’s Coronavirus Disease webpage.
We’re stay on the County Operations Heart with one other replace on the coronavirus. For updates, go to coronavirus-sd.com or textual content COSD COVID19 to 468-311.
Posted by County of San Diego – Government on Friday, March 20, 2020